Saturday 21 January 2012

DIY LIGHTBOX TUTORIAL

Hi all, Today i am going to show you how to make a DIY light box on the cheap! so put down your ipad2 and come have a go!

I use mine to photograph all my finished minatures, be it forge world tanks (you might need a bigger box!) the usual games workshop space marines and so on. You really can use them for anything you want to take photographs of! it doesnt have to be wargaming related!

All you need is a cardboard box, some paper, a printer and some sticky tape!

Ok step one, take your box and cut out one end and the top or bottom, then cover the inside with white paper


After youve covered the insides, add a blue gradient to the bottom and rear of the box, making sure it curves rather than folds at the back corner

Next put a light above the box, add a miniature and take pictures!


You can see here the imperial guard sentinel i posted the other day !

The pictures come out like this



 Try it and see how you get on!

10 comments:

  1. Now thats something I need to do, will try this out soon, thanks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No worries, i hope it works out for you and look forward to seeing the results!

      Delete
  2. Great tutorial! I'm going to have to try this out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers man! yes have a go and make sure you show me the results!

      Delete
  3. Also going to have to try this out.. have tried in the past, but never made anything THIS easy before though.. thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers, try it, it takes about 10 minutes if that! let me know how you get on!

      Delete
  4. Looks good. I do something similar using tinfoil and a single dayglow bulb. What do you use for the lighting?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Cheers!
      The light is a little LED tealight from hobbycraft.

      Delete
  5. Great stuff, I got a portable light box as a pressie for my birthday a couple of weeks ago, but I'm still struggling with getting the right lighting. My pics will sometimes come out grainy, even though I'm snapping at 10meg. Not sure where I'm going wrong, but I think it might be to do with simply not having ENOUGH light??

    I'd love some tips if you have 'em... you can see pics using the light box HERE

    They've had some serious post production on them... but it always feels like cheating!!??

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm, lights a weird thing, you can see in some of my pictures, sometimes the pics look pinky, sometimes bluish, and all i do is move a couple of inches!

      lots of ambient light i feel is a good thing.

      your pics look good to me? i dont use post production myself, but it doesnt really count as cheating, GW does it themselves!

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...